THE EDTECH PODCAST: A BI-WEEKLY AIRING OF EDTECH INTERVIEWS, TRENDS AND NEWS FROM @SOPH_BAILEY.
Jan 23rd 2017
What's in this week's episode?
- BYOD vs 1 to 1 initiatives with Surface
- Using technology to do the heavy lifting and save time on resources, feedback and data
- Using a flipped approach for staff, students, governors and parents –
- Plus more on Leadership, planning and serving your students
Alan Crawford, Vice Principal, Shireland Collegiate Academy
- Reading about emotional intelligence is something I find really interesting
- Our whole academy is built on Office 365
Sir Mark Grundy, Headteacher, Shireland Collegiate Academy, @sirmarkgrundy, quotes:
- We’ve created a system which frees hours and hours and hours of staff time
- At the risk of putting myself out of favour with the photocopying industry…what most schools do, is photocopy the world. It’s not an economic way of delivering learning.
- I’m stubborn in that I won’t accept that technology should force our processes to change. We are your best and worst place to pilot anything.
- What you can’t do is build all sorts of technology benefits on top of chaos.
- Not enough schools are stubborn around the processes of learning and school improvement and school management.
- I have a problem with BringYourOwnDevice. It’s just chaos, utter chaos!
- The depth of scrutiny we now get from our trustees is at a level I’ve never seen
- I think technology is just such a great lever for support and change and it’s a great leveller
- I expect the leadership team to serve the staff and the kids. I don’t expect the staff to serve the leadership team.
- Do our staff feel pressured? Yes they do. Do they feel accountable? Yes they do. Do I think they feel well supported by us? Yes, I think they do.
- We have pushed our staff to put try and do a more evidence based analysis of what they do
- My experience in the DFE at the moment is they are genuinely looking at how to do things differently.
- I was hugely impressed. She spoke about a different landscape. She touched on the sort of skills our young people need. Every conversation has involved how do we harness the power of technology
Read more at https://theedtechpodcast.libsyn.com/#ueBBOzq61I9FVfd8.99